William R. Sweeney
Bill practices primarily in the areas of Zoning & Land Use, Environmental, Real Estate Transactions, Liquor Licensing, Gaming Law, Business Organizations and Public Utilities.
Prior to joining the firm in 2004, Bill was a municipal land use and environmental planner for Norwich, Connecticut and served as a team leader for the city’s aggressive redevelopment efforts. He was named as an Associate in 2009 and became a Partner of the Firm in 2014. Currently, Bill advises companies and developers on major development projects and other commercial matters. In addition, he represents clients in proceedings before various regulatory agencies involving zoning and land use, wetlands and environmental, gaming and liquor licensing issues.
University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D., with honors, 2009
University of Vermont, M.S., 2000
University of Connecticut, B.S., magna cum laude, 1997
- Connecticut Super Lawyers “Rising Stars,” under the primary practice area of Land Use/Zoning, 2015-2019
- “40 Under Forty” Award,” by the Greater Mystic Chamber of Commerce, Greater Westerly-Pawcatuck Area Chamber of Commerce, Greater Norwich Area Chamber of Commerce and The Day, 2014
Bill was born and raised in Canton, Connecticut and now lives with his wife and two sons in Canterbury, Connecticut. He currently serves as a corporator of The William W. Backus Hospital and Norwich Free Academy and a director of Eastern Savings Bank.
Professional Memberships & Associations
- New London County Bar Association, Past President
- Connecticut Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Planning Association
- Eastern Connecticut Chamber of Commerce Leadership Program, former Co-President
- Connecticut Superior Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut