Thomas J. Riley
Tom practices primarily in the areas of Employment Law, Commercial Litigation, Appeals, Medicaid Recovery, Workers’ Compensation Revenue Recovery and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Before joining the firm in 1986, Tom served as a trial attorney in the Land and Natural Resources Division of the United States Department of Justice in Washington, D.C., and as an Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut. He has handled numerous employment matters before the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities (CHRO), the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and before both the State and Federal Departments of Labor. He has also litigated before other State and Federal agencies, including the Supreme and Superior Courts of the State of Connecticut and the Federal courts.
Tom has represented clients in a wide variety of other complex litigation matters, including appeals, before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the U.S. District Court, and the Connecticut Supreme, Appellate and Superior Courts and before agencies, such as the Connecticut Department of Social services, the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
University Connecticut School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1977
College of the Holy Cross, B.A., cum laude, 1974
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Tom was included in the 2018 edition of the Best Lawyers in America for Employment Law – Individuals. He has been selected in this category each year since 1995.
- Connecticut Super Lawyers under the primary practice areas of Employment & Labor, General Litigation and Appellate, from 2006-2017
- Inducted as a Fellow of The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, 2012
Tom and his wife Sue have resided in Waterford for nearly 30 years, where they raised their four sons. He serves as a member of the Lawrence and Memorial Patient Family Advisory Council.
Professional Memberships & Associations
- New London County Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Connecticut Employment Lawyers Association
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- Connecticut Superior Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Fact-Finder/Arbitrator for the Connecticut Superior Court, Judicial District of New London